Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Custom Toy Storage- Part 1

I had mentioned in one of my previous posts that I was thinking about extending this blog beyond just crochet, so I'm going to go ahead and try that out! Who knows if I'll change the blog name or not, I do have hundreds of business cards that have the "Cassidy's Crochet Creations" .blogspot.com jazz on there, so I'll probably leave it for now.

Our kids' toys have always been in the living room. Originally we had a big toy corner for them, complete with a toddler sized real wood/microsuede couch, bookshelves with bins of toys, an ottoman, etc. Then we got rid of the bookshelves and the ottoman and just kept the couch and added a toy cabinet, which I love. But the boy toy has always wanted the kids' toys to be in their rooms- not the living room. We recently (and by recently I mean Friday) made a deal that if I could buy wood to diy my own shelves, then the kids' toys would go in their rooms.



I knew that C's closet was the perfect place to put his toys, there was SO much unused space in there it was killing me!




If you know me, then you know that a trip to Lowe's is a pretty exciting trip for me. I decided to just buy some crates that I have been eyeing (from Michael's) and add a shelf for them to sit on. The actual shelving unit was incredibly easy to build. I just measured the width of the inside of the closet (50") and the length of the crates (12"). Then I drove flew to Lowe's to pick up my lumber. I bought two 1" x 2" x 4' pieces to act as the support for the shelf. I had one of the pieces cut into two 12" pieces, which left me with a bit of extra, I ended up tossing that. I also bought one 2" x 4" x 6' and had them cut it down to about 49.5", I wanted to make sure that I would be able to get it into the closet.

First I stuck C's laundry basket in there (knowing I wanted the shelf to be high enough for there to be room for the laundry basket underneath). Then I nailed one side of the un-cut 1" x 2" x 4', measured both sides of the closet, and nailed the other side in. I did the same with both of my 12" pieces to create a spot to lay the shelf down on. (Notice I'm saying nail, I think I need to add a drill to my Christmas list.)


Beautiful, right?!

If we weren't renting (which is why we have ugly brown baseboards with white splatter on them) then I would have painted the shelf white, but since we will probably only be here for a few more months, and I probably won't even bring the shelf with me, I decided to just leave it white. Not painting it means that I don't have to sand it. I HATE sanding. Want to know what is on my Christmas list this year?


Yup, an electric sander.

I'll be back tomorrow with photos of the crates I painted- ORANGE! -and a photo of the final product. I'll give you a hint, it involves chalkboard paint. Yup, I went there.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment